Our Red Batu or Balau, commonly referred to as “Mahogany”, hardwood decking is sourced only from countries that are leaders in ecological, sustainable forestry practices. This 100% natural, uniquely beautiful, low-maintenance decking comes with a 25 Year Limited Warranty.
Extremely strong and durable hardwood decking!
Used for over 50 years extensively in the USA and abroad in the most demanding applications such as wharves, boardwalks, fishing boat decks and mineshaft timbers, it is resistant to termites and fungus.
Decking that is easy to maintain!
Penetrating finishes are best at protecting your mahogany deck and minimize
maintenance. We recommend using a finish, such as Penofin, with U.V. inhibitors to reduce fading from sunlight and mildew retardants to minimize black mildew that may form, especially in wet or damp areas. However, if you wish to let it weather to a beautiful grey, no maintenance other than light pressure washing is ever needed.
All this at a comparable price to similar clear grade softwoods and composite / plastics! 5/4×6″ decking in stock and ready to deliver!
Storage and Handling
- Keep your decking clean, dry and out of direct sunlight before installation and finishing
- For optimum results, seal decking with a high quality penetrating sealer, such as Penofin Hardwood Formula, on all four sides prior to installation if possible
- Due to the extremely dense properties of this wood, a second field coat is recommended after “seasoning”
- Use care when applying any finish to wipe away any excess. Do not allow to pool or drip. For more tips on application, please visit the Penofin website HERE
- Should you wish to allow your decking to weather to a beautiful silver patina, no finish is necessary
- No need to wax ends
Ventilation and Air Flow
- Check and follow all local building codes!
- Allow adequate ventilation for proper airflow to reduce cupping and checking potential
- For maximum long term stability, install your deck with a minimum ground clearance of 18″ with at least two sides of the deck open
- In all cases, it is absolutely necessary to have at least 50% unrestricted air flow
- Create a slope for drainage so there is no chance of standing water
- If a minimum ground clearance of 18″ is not available, it is recommended to use 5/4×4″ decking
- Our mahogany decking is kiln dried. Unlike air-dried boards, shrinkage is very limited. However, excessive moisture may cause the boards to expand slightly
- Install 6″ decking (5-1/2″ net) with a minimum gap of 1/4″ between boards. 4″ decking (3-1/2″ net) should have a minimum of 3/16″ between each board
- In more demanding applications, such as boat docks, decks built closer to the ground and decks with less airflow, a minimum of 5/16″ for 6″ decking and a minimum of 1/4″ for 4″decking is required
- This decking does not shrink or expand end to end, so neatly trim ends and butt together
- Pre-drill pilot holes and countersink screws. We recommend using stainless steel fasteners and have countersinking tools in stock available to help
- Face screwing or edge screwing are the most effective methods of installation
- Color matched Headcoat Stainless Steel Screws are available and provide beautiful results time and time again
- Hidden clip fasteners and nails are not recommended and may void warranty
Maximum Allowable Decking Spans
- 1×4 and 1×6 ~ 16″ on center
- 5/4×4 and 5/4×6 ~ 24″ on center
- Though we have had no reports of irritation of any kind with this hardwood, we still recommend wearing protective eyewear, dust masks and gloves during installation
Warranty ~ As provided by KAYU International
KAYU ® International Inc. hereinafter “Warrantor”, warrants that KAYU Batu, which is a naturally durable and stable wood, will not suffer structural damage from rot, termite damage, or fungal decay for at least 25 years, when:
- Purchased from an official KAYU dealer as our normal “clear grade”
- Used in a residential structure
- Installed with a minimum gap between 3-1/2″ boards of at least 3/16″ inches and minimum 1/4″ between 5-1/2″ boards.
- Installed with a minimum ground clearance of 18 inches; with well ventilated airflow underneath, which means at least two sides of the deck allowing at least 50% unrestricted air-flow. Water must not be allowed to become “standing” underneath the deck and must have proper slopped drainage.
- Decking is sealed with a high quality penetrating oil sealer, on all four sides prior to installation. Sealing one side can create uneven moisture flow.
- The installation must meet all applicable construction and safety codes.
- Purchaser’s sole remedy for any claim will be only for replacement of the KAYU decking material. Warranty does not include any labor or removal of decking.
- Purchaser is solely responsible for determining whether KAYU Batu meets any applicable safety, building codes, health or other regulations. Warrantor shall not be liable for installation or re-installation costs or for any indirect, punitive, consequential, or exemplary damages of any kind whatsoever arising from purchasers purchase of KAYU Batu or any KAYU decking.
- KAYU decking products are stable hardwoods, with proven performance in decking applications for decades. Excessive movement is defined as twisting or warping over a half-inch. ANY visible quality issues must be dealt with PRIOR to installation. Minor surface checking is a normal occurrence and is not a warranty issue.
- The above remedy is exclusive and is in lieu of all other remedies, expressed, implied, or statutory, including but not limited to any and all other obligations, or liabilities. In order to validate the warranty, you must complete and mail the attached warranty card within 100 days of installation.
To validate your warranty
Send the following information to:
KAYU International, Inc. PO BOX 368, West Linn, OR, 97068
You must include:
1. Copy of your purchase receipt
2. Dated photograph showing proper deck spacing (place a ruler/tape measure in the photo
3. Your name
4. Your address
5. Where you purchased the decking
6. Date deck completed
KAYU hardwood decking products are carefully selected and inspected to ensure its finest quality. However, all natural wood is subject to expansion and contraction as the moisture in the environment surrounding the wood changes. Shrinkage, expansion, checking and slight cupping and other movement are normal occurrences in all hardwood decking. Natural wood products are subject to variances in color, grain, density and performance.
Before your next project, be sure to visit us!
We Ship Nationwide!