Made from high-quality Western Red Cedar, renowned for even grain, weather resistance, thermal insulation, and longevity, our pre-stained or pre-primed shingles are available in natural, sanded, and grooved finishes, as well as fancy cuts.
Readily available “off the shelf” (as a special order) in 6 beautiful colors, as well as a transparent Cedar Tone, or in any custom color desired, including treatment with bleaching oil, our pre-stained Western Red Cedar Shingles can add a stunning signature look to any building, combined with lasting durability.
“Off The Shelf” Semi-Solid Oil Stain Colors
- Red Cedar Transparent Stain available with a 5-year warranty
- Bleached Shingles are a mix of 50/50 Bleaching Oil and Cabot Driftwood Grey Stain
- Custom pre-stained shingles are available using a quality brand of oil-based semitransparent, semi-solid, or solid one-coat finishes, including General Paint Products. Custom colors available.
- Pre-stain and pre-prime (in grey or white) is available for natural, grooved, sanded, and fancy cut shingles
- #1-16”, 18” & 24” Rebutted & Rejointed (R&R) Shingles, 100% vertical grain, 100%
- #2-16”, 18” & 24” Rebutted & Rejointed Shingles
- For more information on the grades, sizes, and definition of Western Red Cedar shingles, please check out our previous blog post by clicking HERE
Installation and Care of Western Red Cedar Shingles
Western Red Cedar Shingles owe their beauty, color, durability, and resistance to decay and insects to the presence of natural tannins produced during normal growth. These natural extractives in Western Red Cedar are water-soluble and may lead to discoloration of finishes on the exposed surface of the shingle. Discoloration from extractives usually appears when moisture from inside the home travels through the shingle to the exposed surface. As the moisture evaporates, it may leave reddish-brown vertical streaks. This discoloration is not caused by the stain, the paint, or any manufacturing process.
Cedar Shingles should always be stored in a dry, well-ventilated location. You must keep
the product dry throughout the application process. You also must take steps to minimize or eliminate interior sources of moisture before and after sidewall shingle application, including, but not limited to the following:
- Maintain low interior humidity levels (this is the most common source of extractive discoloration)
- Ensure proper ventilation during drywall installation, texture spraying, painting, or any other process which increases the humidity inside the building. It is more likely that extractive bleeding will occur if these processes are not completed prior to the application of the sidewall shingles
- Apply over dry panels (OSB or plywood)
- Use kiln dried studs
To minimize the potential for extractive discoloration, our supplier ensures that the shingles are dried to a moisture content that is less than 15%. They also coat the entire shingle with a primer, paint, or stain. Shingles coated with an oil-based solid primer that have a finished coat applied over the primer are less likely to experience extractive discoloration. Semi-solid, semi-transparent, and clear stains offer less protection.
Extractive discoloration may also be caused by external sources such as rain, dew, and/or water from a faulty roof and gutter drainage. These water sources combined with dust and other matter may cause stains on the exposed area of the shingle, which is not the failure of the shingle, paint, or stain.
Stain absorption may vary due to the density and/or porosity of old-growth Western Red Cedar fiber, as well as color variations in the actual shingles. The final color of the stain and how it adheres/absorbs into the material will vary. Due to this, color matches are not guaranteed to exactly match any previous sample or order.
In some cases, certain coatings are “1 coat only” applications. However, a second field coating is recommended after the stain has cured for best stain performance. Prior to any field coating, test a small inconspicuous area for proper absorption. Back brushing is recommended. Be sure not to over-apply the stain or paint.
Limited warranties on coating/finishes are offered through the coating/finish manufacturer.
“Off the Shelf” Colors, as well as Pre-Primed & Pre-Stained Shingles are brought in per order and do require a small lead time. Sorry, we are unable to accept any returns or exchanges on special order items, such as these.
Because Western Red Cedar and Alaskan Yellow Cedar is only grown in the Pacific Northwest, where Cedar Country is located, we are YOUR premium source for Cedar Shingles and Shakes. We ship nationwide from one bundle or carton to full truckloads and extremely competitive pricing ~ even with freight.
Before your next project, be sure to visit us!
950 B Fountain Street, Burlington, WA 98233
Toll-Free Phone (866) 757.6343 Fax (360) 757.1050